8 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
Updated: Mar 26
During these tough times, the world is currently facing, you might wonder what steps you and your loved ones can take to strengthen your immune system. In this article, we are sharing 8 simple tips on how to boost your overall health and immunity.
Though there is no certainty that you will never catch an infection, with a strong immune system it is more likely to develop only mild symptoms and recover quicker. So, let’s get started...
How can I strengthen my immune system? 8 SIMPLE but POWERFUL tools
2. Cold Showers
4. Stress relief
5. Intermittent fasting
1. Sleep: Multiple studies have shown that getting enough sleep is essential to keep your immune system strong. A minimum of 7-8 hours for adults is recommended. A good night’s sleep supports the immune system by enhancing the ability of so-called T cells that eliminate cells that are infected by viruses. With that said, be sure to get some extra sleep these days :-)
2. Cold showers: You might have experienced yourself that a cold morning shower provides a natural energy boost - even before you had your coffee. Studies have shown that cold showers increase the number of white blood cells whose function is to fight off bacteria and viruses. Taking a cold shower is also a great way to support muscle recovery after exercise.
3. Exercise: 30 minutes of moderate exercise daily has been linked to an increase in immune cells. While you are moving, those immune cells circulate through your body more rapidly and are better able to fight off bugs. Also, don’t forget that an easy workout or walk can make you feel more energized and distract you from worries and thereby keeps your immune system healthy.
4. Stress Relief: Psychological stress increases cortisol and adrenaline levels which can higher the risk of infections. That’s why it is important to stay positive and remind yourself that YOU can take steps to control how to be affected by the current situation - not just physically but also emotionally. Going for a walk (in nature - if you can) or doing a workout is a great way to release feel-good hormones and reduce stress hormones.
5. Intermittent Fasting: Intermittent Fasting (IF) refers to a time-restricted eating window (typically eating in an 8-hour window and fasting in a 16-hour window). Studies have shown that a restricted eating window of at least 12-14 hours for women and 14-16 hours for men triggers the immune system to produce new white blood cells. Furthermore, it improves the functioning of immune cells, i. e. they are getting better in recognizing viruses and bacteria in the body and eliminate them successfully.
Drinks you can consume while fasting: tea, water, and black coffee.
6. Diet: Even if you are fasting, it is, of course, important to keep an eye on the quality of the food you eat. Following a wholefood plant-based diet is one of the best things you can do to build a strong immune system. Multiple studies show that the more fruits and vegetables we eat, the better our immune response is. Foods that build immunity include leafy greens, garlic, raw nuts, seeds, grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables while it’s best to stay away from inflammatory foods such as sugar, alcohol, vegetable oils and processed meat.
7. Supplementation: Though vitamins and minerals are best absorbed in whole food form, supplementing can be a good idea - especially during circumstances that weaken your immune system, such as intense exercise (ironman or marathon training), while traveling, not having enough time to eat healthy, restricted calories due to diet, feeling sick and simply not being hungry, other medical conditions where nutritional requirements aren’t met without supplementing.
The intake of extra Vitamin C has been proven to increase blood antioxidant levels up to 30 % supporting your body to fight inflammation. Vitamin C promotes the production of white blood cells which help protect against infections. BIX Recovery is a Multivitamin Electrolyte Tablet that contains all the main electrolytes as well as 200 mg of Vitamin C making it your Go-To Hydration as well as your Go-To Supplement to support healthy immune function.
8. Hydration: You might have heard that 75 % of Americans are chronically dehydrated. If we don’t hydrate well, our airways get dry which makes them more susceptible to bacteria and viruses - especially to respiratory tract infections. For most people it is sufficient to hydrate with water, however, if you are living in a hot or humid climate, if you are working out, if you are going to the sauna or having diarrhea, the best way to rehydrate is with an electrolyte drink. BIX Recovery is a Multivitamin Hydration Tablet that has only 8 calories and contains all the essential electrolytes Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, and Calcium. Take 1 tablet a day dissolved in 300 - 500 ml of water to stay on top of hydration!
By implementing the above SIMPLE but POWERFUL lifestyle changes, you can support a healthy immune system and eventually protect yourself and others from developing severe infections.